BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

A conversation with Emerson that we were UNPREPARED for

As we were preparing to read our scriptures as a family tonight Emerson asked why my Mom was my Mom. I said because I was in her tummy. And then asked her why I was her Mommy. She wasn't quite sure what made me her Mommy other than that was what she was taught to call me as she was learning to talk. We tried to explain that she had grown in my stomach. Well, that didn't suffice her inquiry so she asked how she had arrived in my stomach. We explained that Heavenly Father had created her and placed her there. She wanted to know how Heavenly Father came down to Earth and placed her in my stomach. Puzzled for a minute we went on to explain that we had so much love that our love created her and then our love later created Sawyer. Jason said to her, "Isn't it a miracle that Heavenly Father can do that with Mommy and Daddy's love." I guess we will be needing to find some literature on how to explain the miracle of creation to our daughter who isn't even 5 years old yet!

Any advice from parents with children older than 5 or who have already had to explain this concept to their children?

3 comments:

Lucy said...

Let's see, I do have older kiddos, but I say you explained it pefectly! Less is more, when it comes to the birds and the bees, I say! :) I told Josh it's definitely getting close to the "real" conversation. I would rather it come from me, than from you know a kid on the bus!!

EmilieAn said...

I'm stalking from Lucy's blog and mine did the same thing two years ago at 5. We were doing a garden and he got the idea of growing. So then we talked about that babies grown in tummies but the seeds are halves. Mom's have a half and dads. Other animals too were included in the talk. And that the baby only grows when the two are together. But because he loves eggs for breakfast so much he was confused why they didn't all turn to chickens. That is where the other half is. Then we labled what each thing was. Eggs, sperm, etc. He was very satisfied and had a few questions but on the whole really got the idea. I didn't feel he was old enough to know HOW the halves got together yet so we skipped that part. He's almost 7 now and that will probably be coming very soon.

I hope this wasn't too invasive. I just thought that I would have said the same thing to you if I was at the park or something.

Stephanie said...

You guys did great! As for now, that's all we've explained to the younger ones who care to ask. When the oldest cared to know a little more, we helped him understand it a little better with bugs and animals. (Birds and bees...a little) He understood how certain animals and insects "mated" and he knows mom and dad "mate", but he doesn't know how, yet. He just knows that mating creates babies and it's a God-given miracle. I hope the real talk goes as smoothly someday!